Marriottsville Ridge Farm Lesson Program
The lesson program at Marriottsville Ridge Farm is founded in the Forward Hunt Seat System. We strive to build student competence through systematic training, building physical strength, balance, and confidence in their ability. Our riders are prepared to show in the Hunter, Equitation, and Jumper rings. For riders that are not interested in competition, we offer a parallel program to provide them with the same skills and confidence as our competitive students. Private, semi-private, and group lessons are offered.
- New riders are expected to groom and tack their horses as part of the lesson segment. Once a rider has demonstrated competence in these areas, they will arrive 20-30 minutes prior to their lesson to prepare their horses.
- After lessons, riders are expected to cool and groom their horses and return them to their boarding area.
- Riders are responsible for maintaining their tack and grooming area/supplies.
- Practice rides are available for riders that are competent at walk/trot/canter. (An instructor must be present, and jumping is not permissible during practice rides.)
- ASTM approved helmets are required of all riders when mounted. Helmets are available to borrow for the first month of lessons. (If you are purchasing a schooling helmet, we recommend the Tipperary Sportage 8500.)
- Hard-soled boots with a small heel must be worn at every lesson.
- Long pants (jeans, stretch pants, or breeches) are required. Chaps – half or full – are strongly recommended, however, riders must still wear long pants with chaps.
- Hair should be neatly tied back or put up under the helmet.
- Dangling jewelry – earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. – is not permitted.
Marriottsville Ridge attends local and rated horse shows frequently during the spring and summer. You must be riding in a weekly lesson in order to be considered to attend shows, and we recommend that you go to at least one show with us as a spectator before you begin competing yourself. Talk to your instructor if you are interested; they can give you details as to the time and financial commitments involved with horse shows.
The horses at Marriottsville Ridge are often available for lease. Riders must be enrolled in the lesson program for a minimum of three months and be competent at walk/trot/canter in order to be considered for a lease.
A leased horse is available to the rider for lessons as well as an additional one or two days each week. The rider has priority to the leased horse for shows. Lessons are not included in the price of the lease, and horses may not be leased in lieu of lessons. Lease fees vary per horse.
- To cancel a lesson, the rider must contact the instructor at least 24 hours before the scheduled lesson.
- Cancellations the day of the lesson will be considered a no-show. The lesson is forfeited, and the rider is responsible for payment.
- Lessons cancelled with proper notice may be rescheduled. Lessons that are not rescheduled within one week of cancellation will be forfeited.
- Lessons will not be held if Howard County schools are closed due to inclement weather.
- If riders are more than 20 minutes late for an hour lesson, or 10 minutes late for a half hour lesson, that lesson will be forfeited, and the rider will be reponsible for payment.
|Private – 1 hour|
|Private – 30 minutes|
|Semi-Private – 1 hour|
|Group – 1 hour|
|Practice Ride – 45 minutes|